You now have two ways to join the ALA — online or in person! If you do not have a specific unit you wish to join, click here to join online and become a member of your state’s headquarters unit.
*Please note: You may transfer to a unit of your choice at any time after you join online. To transfer, speak to a unit officer in the unit you wish to transfer into or contact your state’s American Legion Auxiliary headquarters here.
If you know the unit you wish to join or prefer to connect with a local unit, follow these steps:
1. Print off and complete the American Legion Auxiliary Membership Application: English Version (pdf) | Spanish Version (pdf) 2. Obtain proof of your eligibility. Note: If the person who provides your eligibility is living, they must be a current member of The American Legion and eligibility documentation is likely not necessary; however you do need to provide his or her American Legion member ID number and Post information on your application. If the person who provides your eligibility is deceased, acceptable eligibility documents include: a. DD-214 Discharge Papers (not issued until after the Korean War) b. Official Military Orders c. Official Military Service Citations/Awards d. Letters related to the veteran’s military service. Must be on official government letterhead e. Certificate from the VA records center in St. Louis f. Data from the back of older discharges*DD-214 Discharge Papers can be requested online by visiting www.archives.gov3. Do you know of an American Legion Auxiliary Unit in your community that you would like to join? a. If yes, contact a member of that Unit so you can submit your membership application & eligibility documentation. Members of the Unit can inform you of their programs, mission activities, events, and annual dues. b. If no, fill out the below form and we’ll help get a local ALA member to connect you with unit(s) in your area.4. Once your membership application has been accepted, submit your annual dues payment to your local American Legion Auxiliary Unit. Your unit will forward your application and dues payment to your Department Headquarters for processing.5. Thank you for submitting your application for membership. We appreciate your desire to help veterans and their families.
If you would like to be contacted about how to join in your area, fill out the following form:
Membership in The American Legion Auxiliary shall be limited to the:
(1) grandmothers, mothers, sisters, spouses, and direct and adopted female descendants of members of The American Legion; and
(2) grandmothers, mothers, sisters, spouses, and direct and adopted female descendants of all men and women who served in either of the following periods: April 6, 1917, to November 11, 1918 and any time after December 7, 1941 who, being a citizen of the United States at the time of their entry therein served on active duty in the Armed Forces of any of the governments associated with the United States during either eligibility periods and died in the line of duty or after honorable discharge;
(3) grandmothers, mothers, sisters, spouses, and direct and adopted female descendants of all men and women who were in the Armed Forces of the United States during either of the following periods: April 6, 1917, to November 11, 1918; and any time after December 7, 1941 who served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States during either eligibility periods and died in the line of duty or after honorable discharge; and
(4) to those women who of their own right are eligible for membership in The American Legion.*
* A woman who is eligible for American Legion membership is eligible to join the American Legion Auxiliary regardless of whether or not she is a member of The American Legion. However, eligibility of her female relatives (sister, mother, direct descendants) and/or spouse depends upon her membership in The American Legion.