Download Scholarship Application (doc)American Legion Auxiliary Junior members are the future of our organization. To reward those who retain their membership into adulthood, the American Legion Auxiliary offers the Junior Member Loyalty Scholarship to current college students. Ten scholarships, in the amount of $2,500 each, will be awarded to a current college student for 2020. Two scholarships will be awarded in each division of the American Legion Auxiliary.
The scholarship is a grant; not a loan.
1. Candidates for this award shall have been Junior members of the American Legion Auxiliary, held membership in the American Legion Auxiliary for the past three consecutive years (2017, 2018 and 2019) and must be a paid member for the current (2020) membership year. Applicant must continue her membership in the American Legion Auxiliary during the scholarship period.*
2. This scholarship is intended for the traditional student with no interruption in her education, who is at least in her first semester of college but not yet attained a bachelor’s degree. Any member who is non-traditional student (a student returning to the classroom after some time away from college) is welcome to apply for the American Legion Auxiliary Non-Traditional Scholarship.
3. This is a scholarship to attend an accredited institution of higher education. Applicants must have completed at least one semester with grades which meet continuation requirements at the institution of their choice. Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA using a 4.0 base.
4. Applicants must present the completed application, along with the other required materials specified on the application, to the President of their American Legion Auxiliary Unit ON OR BEFORE MARCH 1, 2020.
5. Judging, at all levels, shall be on the following basis:
Leadership, Character and ALA Participation
(as presented in applicant’s essay) 50%
Academic Achievement 25%
Completed Application 25%THE DECISION OF THE JUDGES SHALL BE FINAL.
6. The first half of the award ($1,250) will be paid directly to the school for the first semester upon notification from the school that the student has re-enrolled. American Legion Auxiliary National Headquarters must receive certification of enrollment within 12 months of a winner’s notification, or the scholarship will be forfeited. There shall be no money paid to the school for the ensuing semester until notification of re-enrollment has been received from the school. Notification from the school must include verification of at least a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) average. If the winner discontinues her education or membership in the American Legion Auxiliary before all scholarship funds have been dispersed, the balance of the scholarship will be forfeited. The winner will have four years from the date of notification of scholarship to use the scholarship funds.
*Scholarship period is defined as the time from which scholarship is awarded until funds are fully dispersed or the scholarship expires, whichever comes first.